Regional Finance & Budget Analyst
Deadline of this Job:
31 August 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Location : Nairobi, Kenya
Everyone deserves the opportunity to build a better future. This simple idea has been at the heart of TechnoServe’s work around the world for over 50 years. TechnoServe is a pioneer in leveraging the power of business and markets to create sustainable pathways out of poverty.
The low-income communities in which we work are full of enterprising people. Their small-scale farms and businesses are the keys to economic development. But they face many challenges: low literacy, lack of access to jobs and markets, unpredictable political dynamics and, increasingly, the effects of climate change. For many women and young people, the challenges are even more daunting. Working with TechnoServe staff, people around the world are lifting themselves out of poverty. The results are amazing...when incomes increase and living conditions for families get better, they are able to access health care and education previously out of reach. Communities and even whole countries are better off.
The Finance & Budgeting Analyst will support the Chief of Party in all aspects of financial management & budgeting of AINFP including: oversight of program accounting, internal auditing, and internal controls; supporting Regional Controller with timely financial reporting; support program budgeting at a regional and country level, regular tracking of burn rate against budget; support country program teams to develop and understand activity-based budgets, and to monitor expenditure against budget and work plans; provide staff training and capacity building of staff to implement financial management policies and procedures.
TechnoServe is implementing the USAID-funded Alliance for Inclusive and Nutritious Food Processing (AINFP) regional program in collaboration with Partners in Food Solutions (PFS). The program leverages the power of the private sector to increase the production of safer, more nutritious foods that prioritize procurement from local smallholder farmers and increase the availability of these foods to BoP consumers. This is achieved by supporting local food processing companies in Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, and Zambia through remote technical assistance from world-leading food processing companies under PFS and training to increase the availability of safe, affordable, and nutritious food. The core activities that build the capacity of food processors to become more competitive include customized technical assistance (CTA) and Sector-Wide Training (SWT).
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
Budget Preparation and Monitoring
• Support detailed country activity-based budget development closely linked to work plans.
• Build capacity of country teams to understand and manage the budget.
• Prepare a monthly report to track expenditure against each country’s budget. Participate in a country level call to explain variances from the budget.
• Participate in quarterly burn rate calls with VP East Africa.
• Support the annual and mid-year budgeting, forecasting and planning, and ensure that they are consistent with TechnoServe’s guidelines and procedures
Financial Management and Analysis
• Provide financial and accounting oversight to the AINFP regional and country operations.
• Establish and ensure compliance with budget codes which allow accurate tracking of costs of different types of intervention/client. Consolidate and analyse this information to feed into more accurate budgeting and forecasting.
• Ensure that all financial data recorded in the financial management system across the AINFP countries have the mandatory accounting dimensions to ensure reliability and accuracy.
• Review monthly accounting transactions online in Navision and follow up with Country Project accountants to fix errors noted before they are posted.
• Ensure all accounting program data is updated in the system, reconciled and fully supported in accordance with USAID rules and regulations.
• Liaise with the Regional Controller to ensure timely and accurate preparation of quarterly financial reporting to the donor (SF425) and accruals.
• Liaise with country Financial Controllers to ensure timely completion of month-end procedures and that the results are posted on time.
• Review disbursement to the program partner including review of partners’ financial reports and documentation before posting in Navision.
• Monitor expenditure against partner grant budget.
• Maintenance and filing of accounting records.
Compliance with Finance Policies
• Maintain high levels of confidentiality in relation to sensitive and confidential commercial and business financial decisions and issues.
• Provide proactive advice to ensure optimal financial systems, and reporting and maintenance of TechnoServe’s accounting policies, financial procedures and guidelines.
• Ensure that all processes and procurements adhere to corporate policy, legal and contractual obligations, and corporate and donor standards;
Staff Capacity Building
• Regular travel to program countries to provide support to the teams in budget management and adherence with financial procedures.
• Provision of orientation to new staff on financial systems as required.
• Provision of training/ sharing best practice in team meetings.
• Troubleshooting and support to in-country finance teams
• Bachelor’s degree + 7 years’ experience, or Master’s degree + 5 years’ experience preferably in Business, Finance, Economics, or related field,
• Minimum of 5 years of experience, preferably in international development
• Proven analytic and budgeting skills, including the ability to model the costs of different program designs.
• Advanced proficiency in Excel.
• Technical qualifications or working experience as Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent.
• Experience working for a USG funded program
• Ability to travel regionally; (up to 20% of time)
• Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong organizational and problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently and efficiently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
• Excellent oral and written English communication skills; able to effectively interact with diverse groups of domestic and regional colleagues.
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe's vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact the Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.