Senior Finance and Budget Assistant
Jobs at:United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Deadline of this Job:
04 October 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations system's designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action.
• UNEP's Science Division is responsible for analysing the state of the global environment, providing early warning information and assessing global and regional environmental trends to catalyse and promote international cooperation and action on the environment.
• This position is located within the Financial Management Unit of the Science Division at the Nairobi Duty Station. Under the direct supervision of the Finance and Budget Officer and within delegated authority, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
Budget and Finance:
• Acts as Certifying Officers on behalf of and in the absence of Lead Fund Management Officer (FMO) for the amount up to US$20,000.
• Undertakes reviews, analyses and preparation of the medium-term plan and its revisions.
• Reviews, analyses and assists in the finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements, including programmatic aspects; ensures compliance with the medium-term plan and other legislative mandates.
• Assists managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
• Undertakes research and provides support to higher level Finance and Budget Officers with respect to budget reviews of relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
• Provides input into the preparation of allotments, including redeployment of funds when necessary, ensuring appropriate expenditures.
• Monitors budget implementation/expenditures and recommends reallocation of funds as necessary.
• Reviews requisitions for goods and services to ensure (a) correct objects of expenditure have been charged, and (b) availability of funds.
• Monitors extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
• Assists in the preparation of budget performance submissions.
• Assists in finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
• Monitors integrity of various financial databases.
• Verifies accuracy of input data, ensuring consistency of data in previous allotments to new allotments issued.
• Co-ordinates with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
• Reviews, analyses and processes payments to third-parties, commercial entities, individuals and troop- contributing countries, with respect to settlement of certified death and disability, contingent-owned equipment, stores, pay and allowances, and letters of assist claims.
• Reviews incoming payment instructions with regard to banking details and sources of funds.
• Prepares payments for final disbursement by Cashier.
• Dispatches payment instructions.
• Creates receipts and deposits for all incoming funds.
• Notifies Programme Management Officers (PMOs) on the status of payments of their IPs.
• Assists staff members, Fund Management Officers and donors regarding queries on payment and deposit-related issues.
• Assists Fund Management Officer (FMO) in cash management and investment issues, including cash flow forecasts.
• Investigates complaints on non-receipts.
• Reviews inter and intra-unit processes with aim to optimize workflow and customer orientation.
• Monitors/reviews methods used to remit payments.
• Assist in preparation of periodical reports: cash flow, contributions.
• Follows-up on audit recommendations.
• Follows-up on fraud cases.
• Assists Fund Management Officer (FMO) in the daily operation of the Financial Management Unit responsible for the transmittal of payments worldwide.
• Files and archives as required.
• Revises Legal instrument and follows up on the payments and the respective financial reporting. Keeps up-to- date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme and/or peacekeeping budgets, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
• Drafts or prepares correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant financial and budget matters.
• Provides guidance, training and daily supervision to other general service staff in the area of responsibility.
• Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
• Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
• Performs other related duties, as assigned.
• PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of, and ability to apply financial rules, regulations and procedures in the UN environment. Knowledge, skills and ability to extract, interpret, analyse and format data across the full range of finance and budget functions, including programme development and database management, claims and treasury operations. The ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making. Ability to identify and resolve data discrepancies and operational problems. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
• PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• TECHNOLOGICAL AWARENESS: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
• Completion of high school diploma or equivalent is required. Supplementary training in finance, budget, accounting, administrative services or related area is desirable.
• Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
• The GGST is administered to applicants when required before the administration of a written assessment and/or interview.
• A minimum of (10) years of progressively responsible experience in finance, budget, accounting, administrative services or related area is required.
• Experience in an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) accounting and finance system and International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) is desirable.
• Experience with integrated information management systems based on SAP (Umoja), Power BI or other similar platforms is desirable.
• Experience in the United Nations system or other comparable international organization is desirable.
• One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.