Jobs at:Danish Refugee Council
Deadline of this Job:
24 June 2022
Date Posted: Friday, June 10, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Overall purpose of the role:
• ReDSS GL is inspired by ReDSS East and the Horn of Africa, which was established following extensive consultations among INGOs in the region, identifying a wish and a vision to establish a body that can assist stakeholders in addressing durable solutions more consistently.
• Initial priorities of the position holder are Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo, and the primary focus during the start-up phase will be on the Tanzania-Burundi situation with later expansion to other relevant displacement situations in the Great Lakes.
• Research and knowledge management: promoting a culture of learning and reflection that leads to improvements in durable solutions programming and policies
• Maintain an established coordination platform of ReDSS GL and makes sure it continues to serve as a credible actor in displacement with governments, development and humanitarian actors, and, donors by identifying key areas where ReDSS GL can add value.
• Oversee the implementation of ReDSS GL research and knowledge management agenda including a review of what has been done, and what is useful, and then initiating studies and developing processes to monitor and uptake to improve Solution programming and policies
• Analysis of regional durable solutions data, strategies, policies, and legislation, and production and dissemination of quality reports.
• cross-learning and coherence between the different countries and at the regional level
• Facilitate and organize regular consultation/technical workshops and learning events/meetings on key issues of interest to ReDSS GL
• Manage and supervise solutions analyses and online database
• Responsible for quality control of ReDSS GL publications
• Strengthening the capacity of practitioners and policy-makers in the field of durable solutions
• Support the roll-out of the technical and policy training package
• Support development of learning tools and online tutorials
• Translate evidence and research into programing and policies guidance
• Direct support to country-level ReDSS GL partners
• Promote active engagement with displacement affected communities to ensure their ownership and support in order to make solutions lasting, locally relevant, and feasible
• With ICGLR, organize regional learning events for practitioners (including local stakeholders such as refugee associations, the private sector, the social partners etc.,) and policymakers on key themes identified in the research agenda and support dissemination and uptake
Contribute and support policy actions based on evidence
• Initiate and support policy actions and engagement in collaboration with ReDSS GL members, based on evidence from ReDSS GL and external studies and analyses to improve solutions-oriented policies at the national and regional level
• Continue to implement and monitor ReDSS commitments to the Agenda for Humanity and SDGs
• Support existing forums and members to engage with governmental and inter-governmental actors on durable Solutions
• Proactive engagement and coordination with relevant stakeholders (governments, development and humanitarian actors, donors) and facilitate members' participation
• Proactive engagement in policy development processes such as CRRF and support and facilitate GL members' engagement
• Work closely with ICGLR to ensure coherence between national and regional policy processes and other relevant bodies and forums
• Development and publication of key briefing papers and policy briefs based on evidence
External representation and coordination
• Ensure continued engagement with key players on displacement and Solutions in the region including regional and national authorities, UN agencies, humanitarian and development donors, relevant working groups
• Keep close coordination with development actors, and in particular with ICGLR on the local integration agenda to ensure that displacement is addressed as a development issue with humanitarian components
• Promote exchanges between representatives of local stakeholders in the region, including refugee associations, the private sector, the social partners etc, to share knowledge and experience
• Organize learning events/ think space – in coordination with key stakeholders
• Represent ReDSS GL in working groups and meetings and support ReDSS members' participation in representing ReDSS
Management of ReDSS Secretariat
• Project management
• Manage Secretariat staff and consultants
• Engage in active fundraising
• Create/Monitor work plan and budget and identify new funding opportunities
• Provide overall implementation and strategic direction of the unit activities
• Organise Core Group and Steering committee meetings
• Monitoring, reporting, and evaluating progress and challenges
• Ensure internal information sharing and coordination among ReDSS members at the country and regional level
• Provide timely, digestible, and relevant information and analysis through user-friendly channels and systems to increase information uptake and application.
• Strategic and Technical supervision and reporting: The overall strategy and outline for the work of the Regional Durable Solutions Secretariat will be laid and approved by the Steering Committee (DRC, NRC, IRC). The Coordinator will report to the Steering Committee and work according to annual work plans approved by the SC and annual regional directors’ meeting.
• Administrative supervision: The Coordinator of the Regional Durable Solutions Secretariat will be supervised by the DRC Executive Director for East Africa and the Great Lakes Region. The ReDSS Coordinator line manages and supervises ReDSS secretariat staff and any consultants
• In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
• Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
• Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
• Advanced University degree in social studies, political science, international relations, or relevant field
• Minimum 6 years of experience in similar positions involving knowledge management, research, evidence building, analysis, and coordination of a consortium of partners
• Strong knowledge of the region and the socio-economic and political dynamics affecting it, more specifically on displacement trends with a demonstrated ability to manage politically sensitive contexts
• Strong experience in high-level policy coordination
• Strong experience in working with government officials
• Solid experience in capacity development of a wide range of actors including adult learning, mentoring and coaching, training of trainers, and impact monitoring of capacity development activities
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization
• Strong analytical and writing skills with proven experience in producing high-quality research and policy briefs with the ability to present complex information in a simple and accessible manner
• Strong experience in translating evidence and research into programming and policy guidance
• Excellent coordination and networking skills
• Inter-personal facilitation and communication skills to build trusted relationships with a wide array of humanitarian and development partners, donors, government agencies, etc.
• Flexibility, proactive engagement, ability to work under pressure and to demonstrate high tolerance for change, complexity and unpredictability
• Fluent in both French and English (Speaking, writing, and reading)
• Availability: 1st September 2022
• Duty Station: Nairobi with 50% travels to Burundi. This is a non-accompanied position.
• Contract: Planned for at least 6 months with the possibility of extension subject to funding and performance. Salary and conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Non-Management Band F.
Reporting Line: Regional Executive Director
• Providing equal opportunities We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
• Promoting high standards: DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 72
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Follow the link https://drc.ngo/about-us/careers/vacancies/job/?p=164772
Application and CV
• We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of age, nationality, race, gender or age.
• DRC only accepts applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.