- Notify Me
- All Jobs
- Contact us
Jobs at:World Bank Group
Deadline of this Job:
10 June 2020
Date Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The World Bank Group (WBG) is a family of five international organizations that make leveraged loans to developing countries. It is the largest and most famous development bank in the world and is an observer at the United Nations Development Group. The bank is based in Washington, D.C. and provided around $61 billion in loans and assistance to "developing" and transition countries in the 2014 fiscal year. The bank's stated mission is to achieve the twin goals of ending extreme poverty and building shared prosperity.
IFC’s Financial Institutions Group (FIG) is seeking an upstream officer responsible for designing, executing and monitoring upstream projects in the financial sector in Sub-Saharan Africa. IFC’s new focus on upstream is meant to proactively create conditions that result in the movement of capital into private sector investments in the countries where we work. This is strategic business development in markets or sectors where ready-to-finance projects are not yet available, yet significant development gaps exist. Upstream activities occur before the traditional investment project cycle and are necessary precursors. They can be accomplished as quickly as in a few months or take several years. .
Role & Responsibilities
The position represents a critical and central function in the FIG Africa upstream team and involves the following responsibilities:
• Guide and monitor upstream project design and execution across all initiatives by the FIG upstream team in Africa; structure and manage complex individual upstream projects.
• Investigate bankability and structure paths to investment for upstream projects.
• Lead market research and industry analysis carried out by FIG Africa upstream staff.
• Lead identification of internal and external resources for executing upstream projects; guide other staff in the contracting and management of such resources.
• Co-manage relationships with World Bank, government and private sector stakeholders in support of project execution; participate in and contribute to project ideation.
• Work closely with IFC’s specialists to manage environmental, social, technical, legal, insurance, corporate governance, and other risks in projects.
• Implement and manage a life cycle approach for the design, execution, supervision and evaluation of upstream projects.
• Coach and train younger/junior/new upstream staff to ensure skills growth in bankability analysis and project design & execution.
Job Skills: Not Specified
The position requires a combination of experience, skills and knowledge spanning primarily project management and investment.
• Experience in designing, managing and monitoring advisory projects that involve interaction with private sector entities, industry associations and government authorities; experience in contracting and managing consultants/consultancy firms.
• Robust understanding of investment products and bankability criteria, gained from own investment work or close working relationships with colleagues in the investment function.
• Solid understanding of financial sector and, preferably, a sub-sector of interest to IFC’s upstream program in Africa (agrifinance, climate, SME, digital, housing, distressed assets).
• Experience in implementing market/sector assessments.
• Ability to extract lessons learned from different projects and to synthesize them in a coherent product that supports future project design.
• Excellent organizational, administrative, and time management skills; ability to manage a large number of simultaneous tasks and deliver consistently at agreed deadlines.
• Languages: English required, French desirable, Portuguese a plus.
• Master’s degree or equivalent in finance, economics, business, or other relevant topic.
• Total work experience at least 8 years, of which at least 5 years in project management and investment roles.
• Willingness to travel throughout Sub-Saharan Africa.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Education Experience: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.